The Hedgehog - a universal system against 1.c4 and 1.Nf3
||German, English, French|
€25.13 without VAT (for Customers outside the EU)
$27.14 (without VAT)
The Hedgehog is a wily opening system characterized by a very particular pawn structure. At first glance, Black’s setup might appear somewhat passive, but looks can be deceiving! In this opening, Black is always waiting for a chance to take the initiative and launch a counterattack, positioning his pieces harmoniously behind a wall of pawns and waiting for just the right moment to break things open and thus release the full potential of his position. A number of world champions, including Kasparov, Karpov and Carlsen, have all played the Hedgehog. It is suitable for any playing style and can arise from a large number of opening systems.
On this DVD, Yannick Pelletier provides you with a complete Hedgehog repertoire against the English and the Reti. The Swiss grandmaster explains a number of theoretical variations with example games. Of course, the devil is in the detail and you need to practice too - the interactive feedback section with tailored questions from the author is just the ticket. Yannick Pelletier gives you feedback on your moves, offers hints, or, if things have gone wrong, suggests you might like to take another look at the position. Another helpful resource is the specially prepared collection of games that you can use to broaden your knowledge of the system. A large number have been annotated in detail by the author, unveiling the secrets of this rather prickly opening.
• Video running time: 5 h 46 min (English)
• With interactive training including video feedback
• Extra: 218 Model games including analysis by the author for most of them
• Including CB 12 Reader
Minimum: Pentium III 1 GHz, 1 GB RAM, Windows Vista, XP (Service Pack 3), DirectX9 graphic card with 256 MB RAM, DVD-ROM drive, Windows Media Player 9, ChessBase 12/Fritz 13 or included Reader and internet connection for program activation. Recommended: PC Intel Core i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, DirectX10 graphic card (or compatible) with 512 MB RAM or better, 100% DirectX10 compatible sound card, Windows Media Player 11, DVD-ROM drive and internet connection for program activation.
- The Hedgehog - a universal system against 1.c4 and 1.Nf3
- 01: Introduction [21:27]
- 02: Appetizer: Huebner,R - Kasparov,G [15:58]
- 03: Appetizer: Polugaevsky,L - Ftacnik,L [13:46]
- 04: Move orders [20:35]
- 05: Continuation Move orders: Larsen,B - Andersson,U [08:34]
- 06: The Uhlmann plan: 1.c4 c5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Nc3 e6 4.g3 b6 5.d4 cxd4 6.Qxd4 Bb7 7.Bg2 d6 8.0-0 Be7 9.e4 0-0 10.Qd3 a6 11.Nd4 Qc7 12.b3 Nbd7 13.Bb2/Ba3 - Uhlmann,W - Gheorghiu,F [23:38]
- 07: The endgame plan: 1.Nf3 c5 2.c4 Nf6 3.Nc3 e6 4.g3 b6 5.Bg2 Bb7 6.0-0 a6 7.b3 Be7 8.d4 cxd4 9.Qxd4 d6 10.Rd1 Nbd7 11.e4 Qc8- Xu Jun - Suba,M [12:13]
- 08: The idea b3 followed by Ba3 Part 1: 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 c5 4.g3 b6 5.Bg2 Bb7 6.0-0 Be7 7.d4 cxd4 8.Qxd4 d6 9.b3 0-0 10.Rd1 Nbd7 11.Ba3 Nc5 12.b4Yermolinsky,A - Adams,M [13:48]
- 09: The idea b3 followed by Ba3 Part 2: 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.g3 b6 4.Bg2 Bb7 5.0-0 e6 6.Nc3 Be7 7.d4 cxd4 8.Qxd4 d6 9.b3 0-0 10.Ba3 Na6 11.Rfd1 Nc5 12.Rac1 a6 13.b4 - Miles,A - Adorjan,A [16:46]
- 10: White's plan Ng5-e4 Part 1: 1.Nf3 c5 2.c4 Nf6 3.g3 b6 4.Bg2 Bb7 5.0-0 e6 6.Nc3 Be7 7.d4 cxd4 8.Qxd4 d6 9.Rd1 a6 10.Ng5- Tukmakov,V - Ribli,Z [15:11]
- 11: White's plan Ng5-e4 Part 2: 1.c4 Nf6 2.Nc3 c5 3.g3 e6 4.Nf3 b6 5.Bg2 Bb7 6.0-0 Be7 7.d4 cxd4 8.Qxd4 d6 9.Rd1 a6 10.b3 Nbd7 11.Bb2 0-0 12.Ng5- Stanec,N - Pelletier,Y [14:40]
- 12: White's plan Bf4: 1.c4 Nf6 2.Nc3 c5 3.Nf3 e6 4.g3 b6 5.Bg2 Bb7 6.0-0 Be7 7.d4 cxd4 8.Qxd4 d6 9.Rd1 a6 10.Be3 Nbd7 11.Qd2 0-0 12.Bf4- Fier,A - Pelletier,Y [08:48]
- 13: White's plan Na4: 1.Nf3 c5 2.c4 Nf6 3.Nc3 e6 4.g3 b6 5.Bg2 Bb7 6.0-0 d6 7.d4 cxd4 8.Qxd4 a6 9.Rd1 Be7 10.Bg5 Nbd7 11.Bxf6 Nxf6 12.Na4- Wirthensohn,H - Greenfeld,A [09:10]
- 14: Main line with Bg5xf6 Part 1: 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 c5 4.g3 b6 5.Bg2 Bb7 6.0-0 Be7 7.d4 cxd4 8.Qxd4 d6 9.Bg5 a6 10.Bxf6 Bxf6 11.Qf4- Anand,V - Adams,M [14:13]
- 15: Main line with Bg5xf6 Part 2: 1.Nf3 c5 2.c4 Nf6 3.Nc3 e6 4.g3 b6 5.Bg2 Bb7 6.0-0 Be7 7.d4 cxd4 8.Qxd4 d6 9.Bg5 a6 10.Bxf6 Bxf6 11.Qd3- Ehlvest,J - Greenfeld,A [06:32]
- 16: White's plan 7.b3 with the delay of d4 Part 1: 1.Nf3 c5 2.c4 Nf6 3.g3 b6 4.Bg2 Bb7 5.0-0 e6 6.Nc3 Be7 7.b3 0-0 8.Bb2 d6 9.d4 cxd4 10.Nxd4 Bxg2 11.Kxg2 Qc8/a6- Polugaevsky,L - Gheorghiu,F [12:37]
- 17: White's plan 7.b3 with the delay of d4 Part 2: 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.Nc3 e3 4.g3 b6 5.Bg2 Bb7 6.0-0 Be7 7.b3 0-0 8.Bb2 d6 9.e3 Nbd7 10.d4 a6 - Speelman,J - Kasparov,G [16:43]
- 18: White's plan 7.Re1 followed by 8.e4 Part 1: 1.Nf3 c5 2.c4 Nf6 3.g3 b6 4.Bg2 Bb7 5.0-0 e6 6.Nc3 a6 7.Re1 Be7 8.e4 d6 9.d4 cxd4 10.Nxd4 Qc7 11.Be3 Nbd7 12.f4 Rc8 13.Rc1 0-0 14.f5 e5- Ionescu,C - Marin,M [20:26]
- 19: White's plan 7.Re1 followed by 8.e4 Part 2: 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.Nc3 e6 4.g3 b6 5.Bg2 Bb7 6.0-0 Be7 7.Re1 d6 8.e4 a6 9.d4 cxd4 10.Nxd4 Qc7 11.Be3 Nbd7 12.f4 Rc8 13.Bf2 0-0 14.Rc1 Rfe8 - Popov,V - Shipov,S [13:01]
- 20: White's plan 7.Re1 followed by 8.e4 Part 3: 1.c4 Nf6 2.Nf3 c5 3.Nc3 e6 4.g3 b6 5.Bg2 Bb7 6.0-0 a6 7.Re1 Be7 8.e4 d6 9.d4 cxd4 10.Nxd4 Qc7 11.Be3 0-0 12.Rc1 Nbd7 13.f4 Rac8- Damljanovic,B - Vuckovic,B [20:16]
- 21: Conclusion [01:34]
- Test section
- 22: Quiz 1 [01:44]
- 23: Quiz 2 [02:45]
- 24: Quiz 3 [04:28]
- 25: Quiz 4 [03:19]
- 26: Quiz 5 [06:33]
- 27: Quiz 6 [10:20]
- 27: Quiz 7 [04:02]
- 28: Quiz 8 [02:06]
- 29: Quiz 9 [01:58]
- 30: Quiz 10 [02:10]
- 31: Quiz 11 [03:11]
Often ordered with...
The Dutch Stonewall - A fighting repertoire against 1.d4
by Erwin l'Ami
In the Dutch Stonewall Black from the very first move fights for the initiative. Let Erwin l’Ami take you on a fascinating journey to the depth and attractions of this unique opening. At the end you will be rewarded with a new repertoire against 1.d4!
The London System with 2.Bf4
by Simon Williams
"Simple yet aggressive!" Enjoy this new exciting DVD by Simon Williams. Let the famouns Grandmaster from England show you how to gain a very exciting yet well founded opening game with the London System (1.d4 d5 2.Bf4).
Reti - A Repertoire for White
by Viktor Bologan
Starting with 1.Nf3 the Reti is designed for those players who like strategy, manoeuvres and plans. Bologan presents a repertoire based on 1.Nf3 giving you options for all major replies.
by GM Peter Heine Nielsen
The Semi-Slav (1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Nc3 e6) can arise via various move orders, has decided World Championships, and is one of Black’s most fascinating replies to 1 d4. Nielsen explains in detail what this opening is all about.