The Art of Defence
€25.13 without VAT (for Customers outside the EU)
$27.14 (without VAT)
Defending bad or worse positions is very important in the royal game, probably forming one of the most essential aspects of chess strategy altogether. And it is an art one can learn! The purpose of this DVD is to explain the viewer all main methods of defence: exchanging pieces, creating a fortress, eliminating dangerous enemy pieces, escaping the danger zone with the king, improving the position of the pieces. Special attention is paid to counterattack and prophylactic play. The DVD contains almost 5 hours of video lectures, based on the positions from the practice of the World Champions and other elite players. On top of that, there are 15 exercise positions for you to solve by yourself. Recommended for players of all levels.
• Video running time: 5 h 19 min (English)
• With interactive training including video feedback
• Extra: More than 50 extra games, with examples of the author
• Including CB 12 Reader
Minimum: Pentium III 1 GHz, 1 GB RAM, Windows Vista, XP (Service Pack 3), DirectX9 graphic card with 256 MB RAM, DVD-ROM drive, Windows Media Player 9, ChessBase 12/Fritz 13 or included Reader and internet connection for program activation. Recommended: PC Intel Core i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, DirectX10 graphic card (or compatible) with 512 MB RAM or better, 100% DirectX10 compatible sound card, Windows Media Player 11, DVD-ROM drive and internet connection for program activation.
- 01: Introduction [05:49]
- 02: Exchanges - Part 1 - Capablanca,J - Alekhine,A; Kortschnoj,V - Karpov,A; Asztalos,L - Alekhine,A [21:10]
- 03: Exchanges - Part 2 - Marshall,F - Chigorin,M; Lisitsin,G - Lilienthal,A; Kasparov,G - Topalov,V; Bakulin - Dvoretsky; Karpov,A - Kasparov,G [24:38]
- 04: Exchanges - Part 3: Fortresses - Kholmov,R - Taimanov,M; Chekhover (study); Smyslov,V - Huebner,R; Yates,F - Alekhine,A; Zivkovic Jocic,L - Gaprindashvili,N; Lilienthal,A - Bonch Osmolovsky,M; Byrne,R - Taimanov,M [24:37]
- 05: Eliminating dangerous pieces - Maroczy,G - Rubinstein,A; Kramnik,V - Kasparov,G; Filip,M - Kortschnoj,V; Kasparov,G - Petrosian,T [24:22]
- 06: The King escapes - Part 1 - Nimzowitsch - Birger; Diez del Corral,J - Petrosian,T; Ravinsky,G - Kotov,A [11:56]
- 07: The King escapes - Part 2 - Gufeld,E - Taimanov,M; Planinec,A - Tukmakov,V [07:15]
- 08: Improving the pieces - Part 1 - Spraggett,K - Sokolov,A; Capablanca,J - Znosko Borovsky,E; Karpov,A - Polugaevsky,L; Suetin,A - Kortschnoj,V [30:39]
- 09: Improving the pieces - Part 2 - Polugaevsky,L - Panchenko,A; Short,N - Kasparov,G; Levenfish,G - Ragozin,V [14:21]
- 10: Counterattack - Part 1 - Taimanov,M - Larsen,B; Bronstein,D - Polugaevsky,L; Geller,E - Euwe,M; Stoliar,E - Kotkov,Y; Taimanov,M - Averbakh,Y; Ravinsky,G - Antoshin,V; Averbakh,Y - Botvinnik,M; Kotkov,Y - Nezhmetdinov,R [28:52]
- 11: Counterattack - Part 2 - Spielmann,R - Capablanca,J; Vidmar,M - Euwe,M; Dieks,R - Marjanovic,S; Kupreichik,V - Tukmakov,V; Olafsson,F - Tal,M; Topalov,V - Gelfand,B; Capablanca,J - Ilyin Zhenevsky,A [30:42]
- 12: Prophylaxis - Part 1 - Schlechter,C - Nimzowitsch,A; Johner,P - Nimzowitsch,A; Bronstein,D - Petrosian,T; [28:35]
- 13: Prophylaxis - Part 2 - Titov,G - Yudasin,L; Gurgenidze,B - Polugaevsky,L; Stein,L - Petrosian,T; Bareev,E - Dolmatov,S; Spassky,B - Petrosian,T; Kupchik,A - Capablanca,J; Saemisch,F - Alekhine,A [24:42]
- 14: Conclusion [03:16]
- 15: Test 1 [02:43]
- 16: Test 2 [02:40]
- 17: Test 3 [02:21]
- 18: Test 4 [02:50]
- 19: Test 5 [02:37]
- 20: Test 6 [03:45]
- 21: Test 7 [01:13]
- 22: Test 8 [01:20]
- 23: Test 9 [03:20]
- 24: Test 10 [02:31]
- 25: Test 11 [02:49]
- 26: Test 12 [02:26]
- 27: Test 13 [02:33]
- 28: Test 14 [02:12]
- 29: Test 15 [02:14]
Often ordered with...
Pattern Recognition and Typical Plans
by Adrian Mikhalchishin
On this DVD GM Adrian Mikhalchishin presents games of the World Champions of the past to explain typical patterns and strategic concepts of these games and to show how grandmasters apply these ideas today.
Pawn structures you should know
by Adrian Mikhalchishin
Every pawn structure has its typical plans and to know these plans helps you to find your way in these positions. On this DVD Mikhalchishin presents and explains the most common central structures: The Hedgehog, the Maroczy, Hanging pawns and the Isolani.
The London System with 2.Bf4
by Simon Williams
"Simple yet aggressive!" Enjoy this new exciting DVD by Simon Williams. Let the famouns Grandmaster from England show you how to gain a very exciting yet well founded opening game with the London System (1.d4 d5 2.Bf4).
Typical mistakes by 1600-1900 players
by Nicholas Pert
Some mistakes repeat themselves often in amateur games. With themes such as "Miscalculating Forcing Lines", "Being Too Materialistic" and "King Safety" Nick Pert shows you how to avoid making typical mistakes.
The Art of the Positional Exchange Sacrifice
by Sergei Tiviakov
The positional exchange sacrifice is one of the most powerful and fascinating strategic weapons in chess. On this DVD Sergey Tiviakov explains why the positional exchange sacrifice is such a strong weapon and how to use it.